If you’re buying or building a luxury home in Maryland, Northern Virginia, or Washington, DC, you want windows that are in keeping with the rest of the house. This means choosing high-end window materials with energy-efficient features. Keep the following in mind as you look for replacement windows that meet your high standards.
Luxury Window Materials
Luxury homes these days often have a contemporary design. To ensure your windows add to rather than detract from the décor, consider choosing one of the following materials:
- Aluminum windows: For ultra-modern homes, nothing but aluminum windows will do. The metal creates a streamlined, industrial look, especially if the frames are black. Aluminum windows have an inherent strength to them that other windows lack. A vast majority of commercial buildings have aluminum windows for this very reason. Yet, they have a sophisticated beauty that makes them appropriate for residential applications, too.
- Aluminum-clad windows: Wood degrades in the elements faster than any other window material. If the beauty of wood windows tempts you but you don’t want the hassle of extra maintenance, aluminum-clad windows are the ideal choice. This solution features durable aluminum on the exterior and gorgeous wood on the interior, providing the best of both worlds.
- Fiberglass windows: For more traditional home design, consider what fiberglass windows have to offer. This material is up to eight times stronger than vinyl, lasts 50 years or more, and comes with excellent energy-efficiency ratings, all must-haves for any luxury home.
- CompositWood windows: This revolutionary material has the look and feel of premium wood windows with the maintenance-free qualities of vinyl and the strength of aluminum. These qualities could make CompositWood windows the right choice for your luxury home.
Luxury Window Features
Selecting the right window material is a vital place to start, but not all aluminum, aluminum-clad, fiberglass, and CompoitWood windows are created equal. To make sure you end up with premium products for your luxury home, consider choosing these types of features:
- Large expanses of multi-pane glass: Large floor-to-ceiling windows and vast window walls have a luxurious appearance. To ensure the added glass doesn’t detract from your home’s energy efficiency, the windows should be double or triple glazed. The air trapped between the panes slows heat transfer to keep your home more comfortable. Other features that improve energy efficiency include gas in-fill, warm-edge spacers, and low-E coatings.
- Thin frames: Both aluminum and fiberglass have the strength necessary to support large sheets of glass while maintaining thin, unobtrusive frames. This maximizes the view of the exterior and allows more natural light to enter.
- Picture and geometric windows: Not every window in your luxury home needs the option of opening. In fact, large picture windows and specialty geometric-shaped windows let you enjoy more of the view, let in additional natural light, and emphasize the unique architectural features of your home while maintaining maximum energy efficiency.
Install Windows for Luxury Homes in DC, MD & VA
Quality Window & Door is proud to be the go-to source for architects, contractors, and homeowners who are building new luxury properties in Maryland, Northern Virginia, or Washington, DC. We supply windows from numerous high-end manufacturers to ensure you have no shortage of options.
We can also offer our expert, unbiased advice as a nonproprietary supplier of luxury windows and doors. Our top priority is to help you find the right window products for your home—even if that means you don’t buy from us!
For more information about selecting the best windows for luxury homes, or to request an installation estimate, please contact Quality Window & Door at 1-800-370-8751.
You can also view our windows in person by visiting one of our local showrooms in Maryland and Northern Virginia.
This post first appeared on